Sewn Samples

Getting ready for Spring…

Getting ready for Spring...

…someday.

Triple Play Top made in a lightweight embroidered cotton with black eyelet fabric at collar and cuffs.

Advertisements

Go Anywhere Dress

So many style options for this dress–

Since I showed you a really weird half version of the Go Anywhere Dress pattern yesterday, today I give you pictures of the pattern as a complete dress!

ImageImage

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Shown here–the short sleeve and long sleeve version of the dress. I realize now that I need a good sample of the dress as a sleeveless sheath and a long tunic and a tank top!

Our lovely model Gina is wearing the Go Anywhere Dress in a woven (above) and a knit (right) fabric.

Sample Sunday

My grand idea was to complete a Sewn Square One pattern sample today, hence “Sample Sunday.” It started out well–the idea was a hybrid of the “Go-Anywhere Dress” pattern and the “Skirt Smarts” pattern–so not really a marketable sample, I wouldn’t use it to represent the patterns, but I definitely will be wearing it come Spring.

Anyway, let’s break down the process my brain took:

1) I started with a “Go Anywhere Dress” pattern in tunic length that I had already cut out for a previous sample. Because I only needed the bodice to go to the waist, I pinned the tissue pattern to a dress form (hereafter know as “Dollie”), found and marked the natural waistline on the Center Front and Center Back tissue pieces and transfered this line to the Side Front and Side Back panels that make up the tunic pattern. I then added an extra 1 3/4″ (the height of one of the plaid squares) to this line knowing that I’m picky and would want to match up plaids and a little extra fabric never hurts when you’re experimenting!

Image

2) After cutting out these pieces and sewing them together–not sewing up the CB seam as I will need to decide how I want to get in and out of this garment (the pattern calls for a zipper closure, but we’ll see), I put them on Dollie. As you can see by the huge jags between the CF panel and the Side Front panels I changed my mind about matching up the plaids in the conventional way and decided to match in a more interesting but still intentional looking way. I think I’m happy with the result but we won’t know until I sew on a skirt!

Image

3) On the back of the bodice I just lined up as much of the plaid as I could. It’s not possible to get it perfect as the pattern utilizes princess lines with ease (a wonderful things with curves) but I got really close! As you can see I left the whole back open (just pinned at the top)–until next time!

ImageI

I’ve still got some work to do–the whole skirt–but I need to look into preparing for school on Monday. Even though Seattle got some snow yesterday, the rain will take care of it tonight and it will be business as usual tomorrow–unlikely to become a snow day, sorry kids!

Fabric for this project purchased at Stitches in Seattle–more amazing things also purchased there for samples to come! Pattern used is Go Anywhere Dress from Sewn Square One patterns.